Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Rare Knitting


I find it fascinating that some things in the fiber world get to be extremely valuable.

What is The Holy Grail of Knitting Collectors?
I have always found it difficult to believe that folks would pay ridiculous prices for certain things related to knitting.

I own The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons-Hiatt.



It's a relatively impressive book, but is it really worth $200 or so for a knitting book?

I own an antique sock knitting machine made in 1900, and it still has the ability to create socks including ribbing and heel and toe-turning. It's an amazing little antique. For this item, I can kind of understand folks desiring it and paying high prices.

But then there's all things Alice Starmore. I'm seeing paperback books of hers like Stillwater going for over $100. I actually like Alice's designs and think Stillwater is a good book of hers, but honestly, it's not worth $100. And then of course, there's "The Scottish Collection" which includes the design for "Marina"...which I consider to be mediocre as far as Starmore designs go. Although, in that same thin pamphlet (yes, the thing is just a flimsy pamphlet!) you can also find a chunky entrelac pullover in pastel colors designed by Carol Lapin.

Anyway, I've been thinking that I should try and see what I can get for this little gem.



This is a project bag that was given out to people that came to a traveling tour of Alice Starmore conducted by Tomato Factory and Broad Bay Company (the original promoters of Alice in the states). I can't imagine there are many of them around anymore...although I did see a Broad Bay "On The Road With Alice Starmore" bag during my google searches to research this blog entry.

And then of course, there's the "pink chibi" craze...

Current Knitting Spinning
I have done some knitting on the sleeve for the Expedition Pullover, but I also started a new spinning project.

I have been inspired by a few things. First of all, at Rhinebeck, Knitterguy Ted had a beautiful lace-knit scarf that he made used hand-spindled laceweight yarn and it was just delicate and beautiful.

Second, I had my two new purchases from Rhinebeck to play with...the Bosworth niddy noddy, and the drop spindle from Robin Wheels.

Finally, I was mostly inspired by a gift from knit-friend, Loraine (fiberninja).



Her husband started making drop-spindles, and as they downsized on their recent move to Florida, she gifted me with this lovely spindle. Thanks Loraine!

So, using some naturally dyed Coopworth roving from Black Bunny Fiber (dyed with cochineal), I decided to start spinning up some laceweight yarn of my own.





It will end up being a two-ply yarn when all is said and done, and then I'll try and make something nice looking from the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment