Saturday, November 14, 2015

Knitting Celebrities

As I've continued to participate in the knitting community (communities??)...it's amazing how many of the people with whom I've become acquainted have made names for themselves.

The Latest Success
My friend Brian (who I met through the West Coast Men's Fall Knitting Retreat, and who works at Skacel and who I got to hang out with while I was in Seattle) has recently had one of his designs published in the latest Vogue publication:

Entrelac - the Essential Guide to Interlace Knitting

Entrelac: The Essential Guide to Interlace Knitting

And as I type, both Carol Sulcoski and Franklin are attracting crowds at Loop in Philadelphia with classes and beautiful yarns.

It's thrilling to see these friends get their due recognition...they're all incredibly talented and brilliantly creative.

I keep hoping some of their talent will rub off on me.

Current Knitting
I've been able to make extensive progress on the Felted Tweed zippered cardigan in the last couple of days.


I went from about 3 inches to about 12 inches.

A quick confession...while I did a gauge swatch for this design and I'm currently knitting about the same gauge, the sweater is currently way too small for me or Thaddeus (about 10 inches too small in circumference). After knitting the swatch, I did some VERY quick math in my head...incorrect math as it turns out.

But, no worries...I can adjust the chest size by doing something clever and creative with a wide front panel.

Flea Market Find
I found this little gem at the local flea market this morning.


When the vendor told me it was $20, I figured I didn't really need a fourth swift (even though this one would be perfect for my more delicate yarns). He asked me if I knew what it was, so I told him (he had a vague idea already) and when he realized I knew it's value, he dropped the price to $15. I told him I'd think about it, since I already owned 3 similar items. He dropped the price to $12 and I told him that was a good price for this item and that I would consider it while I walked around shopping. He finally lowered the price to $10, and I couldn't resist it.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Thanks all for the resources on sewing zippers into a sweater, but that's not the issue I have. I've sewn a zipper into a sweater before and I don't find it that challenging. My bigger issue is a source for lightweight, separating zippers in lots of different lengths and colors. Duffy's link gave me exactly what I was looking for...excellent source...thanks.

I also realized that when folks embed hypertext links in their comments, Disqus is requiring me to approve the comments...so some of your comments didn't show up right away. Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment