Saturday, November 14, 2015

Optical Illusion?



Is it my imagination, or do most opticians suck at their job?

Still Wearing Glasses
Even though I've had laser surgery that has made my vision close enough to perfect that I don't need corrective lenses to drive, I still do need glasses if I want to see well while reading, or doing a lot of computer work.  Thaddeus also wears glasses since his laser surgery, so we find ourselves at the opticians about once or twice a year.

But I've been frequenting opticians long before now, when I used to need glasses and contact lenses to be able to see past my own nose.

My overall experience with opticians, is that they're careless, expensive and not very good at making glasses that actually work for people.  Some person examples of bad opticians are:
  • Wrong Prescriptions - I can't tell you how many times I'd take receipt of a pair of glasses, or a box of contact lenses, and the prescription was wrong.  Sometimes it was obvious an other times I'd only find out a year or two after wearing the wrong prescription, when an optometrist or other optician would measure the lenses.
  • Mis-Alignments - I have a pair of progressive lenses (computer glasses) that have the "sweet spot" in the wrong place, requiring me to tilt my head slightly more than I'd care to.  Thaddeus had a pair of bifocals made that had the reading portion of the lens way too high.
  • Stupid Extras - I've had opticians recommend high-density plastic lenses that were completely inappropriate for the prescription and added nothing but cost.  I've had crappy coatings to prevent scratches that cost a fortune that just didn't work.

And it doesn't seem to matter if the place is one of those cheapo chains, or a very expensive "boutique".  Overall, the one thing I have found, is that most opticians places do get right, is they are helpful in picking out frames that work for me, and they are usually good at adjusting them so they fit my face well.

Is it just me?

Current Knitting/Spinning
I did some additional spinning of singles this weekend to try and finish the Optim Merino top I've been working on and I made some great progress.






But of course, there's still this dangling from the spinning wheel that is still left to do.



After all this spinning, I feel like Rumplestiltskin and the result should be pure gold!

I also started a new project that was borne of necessity.  With so much of my time spent up in Edmonton, I realized I needed more than just a warm coat...I needed something to keep my neck and lower face warm sometimes...and it had to be easy to travel with (not bulky!).

I decided a nice warm possum around my neck would fit the bill perfectly.

Well, actually a neck-warmer made of merino and possum fur (Australian possum which is much softer and warmer than the rat-like American possum).



This is the New Zealand yarn I got from James (J.O.Y - Joy of Yarn) - even with shipping at the time, it was a good deal.  I don't see it on his site any more, but he does have a DK possum yarn available.  The possum gives this yarn a fuzz-halo that is incredibly soft and warm...maybe this cross-cut photo shows it a bit better.


I'm really just going to do a loose tube with a finished edge and wear it as a scarf that won't fall off.  We'll see if the design works.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Karo writes, "I have a question about the hexapuff do you cast on 24 stitches total or 24 stitches on each needle?..."

I cast on a total of 24 stitches to start and end up with a total of 24 stitches (6 sts on each of 4 needles).

No comments:

Post a Comment