Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Moustaches!


One of the best thing I like about November is a great little event, renaming the month as Movember, encouraging men to grow a moustache for the month to help raise money and spread the word about prostate cancer.  Mostly, I just like guys with moustaches.

Movember Men
I haven't heard much about it this year, but in prior years, many of the men who knit, let their razors sit idly by while their facial hair grew.  Some set up fundraisers for their effort (?...lack of effort?), others just showed off their manly achievement.

Feel free to contact the Movember movement and make a contribution to prostate cancer research if you're so inclined.



Current Knitting
While I would love to be able to grow a moustache that would make me look something like this:

 
In all likelihood, any moustache attempt on my part would be pretty cheesy looking:


So this Movember, I opted for a knitted solution so I could participate in this activity.



I found the pattern on Ravelry and it's called "Dwarven Battle Bonnet" by Sally Pointer/Wicked Woollens.

I do have to say, the hat is incredibly warm, and I might just find a use for it on my cold morning walks to work in Edmonton.


Readers' Questions/Comments
Sandra asks, "Where did you get the pattern for the honeycomb blanket, I love it!"  I also got another question from a reader about whether I somehow restrict the polyfill to each hexapuff, or whether it can move freely throughout each length of hexapuffs.

Actually, I don't have a pattern for this...I saw a video of a woman making something like this, and I just designed it on the fly.  I basically do a standard toe-up, figure-eight cast-on of 24 stitches and increase like I would for a sock toe (four increases every other round) until I have finished the knit-plain round with 56 stitches.  Then I start decreasing four stitches every other row until I'm back down to 24 stitches.

I do restrict the polyfill to only one hexapuff by starting the next hexapuff by putting half the stitches on each of two needles, and holding them parallel and together, I start my new yarn by using two double-pointed needles knitting the first stitch from the front needle onto the new front needle, and purling the first stitch from the back needle onto the new back needle (holding both new needles parallel while I do it.

I would be much easier to show you...I may try doing a video if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment