Monday, November 30, 2015

Re-Doing, Re-Tooling


One of the guys at the last Men's Spring Knitting Retreat (hey Vince!) taught a class on continental knitting and purling. I've been practicing it on and off since May, and just got the perfect excuse for doing a LOT of practice.

The Mom's Cardigan
After doing endless ribbing on US0 needles, I finally made my way up to the stockinette stitch of the cardigan I'm working on.

It only took an inch or two of knitting to realize that the fabric was going to gather way more than I planned as it transitioned from the ribbing to the plain fabric. I considered it to be completely unacceptable and I couldn't think of any way to fix it, so I realized I had to start all over...which meant re-doing all the ribbing.

My practice in doing ribbing in the continental way paid off, as I was able to re-do all the ribbing (actually about 10% more...so I wouldn't get the same amount of gathering).





I'm quite pleased with my progress so far. In fact, I'm pretty certain I will have to link to Ravelry for the remainder of my photos of this project so that my family won't get to see the project until my mom does at Christmas.

Here's a video describing how I do continental ribbing, in case there are those out there interested in learning it.



Four Days of Love
One of the best parts about four day holidays like this past weekend's Thanksgiving holiday here in the States, is that I get time to spend with my two loves.

Unfortunately, only one of them will let me take a picture of them!



Actually, Nico takes a bit of time getting used to me each weekend when I get home from work travel, and four days in a row with him and he turns into a complete love-bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment