Tuesday, February 10, 2015

QueerJoe's Standard Sock

I've gotten to the point where knitting a sock requires no pattern or even much thought.  The heel I use is a modified Andersson heel, which is a short-row heel, so it requires no picking up of stitches along a gusset, but it also fits more closely to a human foot.

Pattern

Assuming I can get a decent sock-like fabric using US3 needles and the chosen sock yarn, here is my "pattern" for making a sock:

Using US3, double-pointed needles and the figure-8 cast-on, I cast on a total of 24 loops.
1st round - knit 24 sts
2nd round - K into front and back of 1st st, K10, K into front and back of 12th st, K into front and back of 13th st, K10 and K into front and back of last stitch
3rd round - K28
4th round - K into front and back of 1st st, K12, K into front and back of 14th st, K into front and back of 15th st, K12 and K into front and back of last stitch

Continue increasing 4 sts every other round until I have 68 sts total.
Knit plain until the foot of my sock is approximately 2 inches shorter than I want it to be.

Gusset Increases:
1st round - Incr1 (using invisible increase by knitting into the loop below the first stitch and then knitting into the loop on the needle), K33, Incr1 (using invisible increase), K33 (70 sts total)
2nd round - Knit plain
3rd round - Incr1 (using invisible increase by knitting into the loop below the first stitch and then knitting into the loop on the needle), K35, Incr1 (using invisible increase), K33 (72 sts total)
4th round - Knit plain

Continue increasing 2 sts every other round until there are 92 sts total, ending with a Knit plain round.

Heel:
Knit 81 sts, wrap next st and turn
Purl 10 sts, wrap next st and turn
Knit 10, SSK, wrap next st and turn
Purl 11 sts, P2Tog, wrap next st and turn
Knit 11 sts, SSK
Purl 11 sts, P2Tog

Repeat last two rows until you are back down to 68 sts total and beg knitting in the round again.
Knit plain for 3-4 inches and then switch to 1x1 rib (K1, P1).

I used EZ's sewn bind-off to finish.

Current Knitting/Spinning

To get a sense about how much yarn I had, and how long I could make my current sock project, I decided to start the second sock without finishing off the first sock.


This is the standard sock with a couple of modifications.  First, it's only 64 sts around, second I've made a slightly narrower back of heel, and I'm also switching to US1 needles for the ribbing.  The socks are for Thaddeus who has a narrower foot than I do.

I also did a bit more spinning since I last blogged with Mindy's wonderful mohair/Shetland blend.


I'm loving the result of this spinning project, but I'm not yet sure what I will use all the resulting yarn for.  I'd love to create a masculine looking vest or pullover, but I fear the yarn might have a bit too much halo to look masculine.  More will be revealed as I progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment