Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Communing With Men - Again

I'm very fortunate that my work will allow me to get to go to the 2010 Men's Fall Knitting Retreat in Seattle again this year.

Nothing Like a Group of Knitter-Men
There are a number of barriers that can get in the way of someone making it to one of the men's knitting retreats. Obviously, you must first identify as male. Second, you must have decided to disregard any public scorn and have picked up the hobby of knitting (or crochet, or spinning). Third, you must have a certain level of enthusiasm for your craft to compel you to spend money to be with like-minded guys. Finally, you must make it through all the logistical barriers of making time, budgeting money and traveling to the retreat location.

For the guys who have made it through all this, the resulting select group of guys is incredibly supportive and enthusiastic.

Who wouldn't want to be part of that if they could?

Current Knitting
I know that if you've ever knit a lot of it, you know how slowly garter stitch grows. It still doesn't quite fully explain why I'm only about halfway finished with the mohair mawl, but it's the best I can come up with at the moment.


I've decided to put two narrow, subtly colored stripes in the mawl. I'm using a natural colored cormo handspun yarn. It won't have a huge impact on the overall design, but I'm hopeful it will slightly accentuate the geometry of the garment when it's done.

I've done a little bit more on the cashmere lace as well, but not enough to merit a photograph.

Current Spinning
I'm not sure if I ever showed that I finished spinning up the singles from the trendy colored Black Bunny Fiber of unknown content (feels somewhat merino-ish). But I'm planning on plying this with the same charcoal gray alpaca singles I used with the mohair from Puff the Magic Rabbit.


I'm looking forward to seeing how this yarn turns out since the mohair was so full of surprises.

Anyone Need A Treasury?
I found an extra copy of Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury in the old format at my local flea market.


Since I already have a copy of this book, if anyone would like it, just send me an e-mail at queerjoe@comcast.net with where you'd like it sent. If I get a few folks interested, I'll have Nico pick a random name and send it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment