Tuesday, August 18, 2015

It's a Heel!

Despite having a week to accomplish something in my knitting world since the last time I blogged, I have been able to turn a heel, and just start ribbing.

Andersson Heel
Knitman Colin a while ago designed and described a heel for a toe-up sock that I find to be one of the most elegant ways of forming a heel that combines the best of a short-row heel, with the fit of a Dutch heel.

I've made some modifications, mostly in terms of how I make the increases so that they look very smooth (see the close up photo below). But overall, I love how easy this heel is to make and how good it looks and feels when I wear the sock.

Current Knitting
So here is a week's worth of work.



While the heel might look a little bunchy, it fits very well on most feet.  It also requires no picking up of stitches along the side of the gusset.  Even with this yarn which is a blend of Superwash Merino and Bamboo (which shows a lot of inconsistencies), the increases and the decreases/short rows look very uniform and neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment