Saturday, August 29, 2015

Regrets, I Have A Few

But how I've maintained my blog over the years isn't one of them.

What I'd Do Differently
Not sure how many folks who read this have been reading for the almost eight years that I've been blogging at QueerJoe, but for those who have, you probably remember some of the bumps and jolts when I first started.

I started reading Marilyn's and Wendy's blogs early on, and thought I might have something to say. I guess I didn't realize at the time that I could maintain something to say for quite so long.

When I first started writing, I was clear that I wasn't about fawning or empty praise. I was more hopeful that I would start a readership that would participate in interesting dialog. That's when I first established the "QueerJoe's Blog Rules." They were a list of rules of how I required readers to participate (or opt not to participate). Boy, I don't even know where they are anymore, but they sure pissed off a few people.

I also wrote a number of highly opinionated and sometimes insulting blog entries.

I was lucky to have quickly established a core group of readers who were interested in participating here as interesting, and opinionated readers and commenters. They soon became critical in defending the principles I had tried to establish.

Overall, I think I made a few mis-steps along the way, but for the most part, I've very pleased with what this small space on the internet has become. Largely, I attribute the blogging longevity to the folks that participate here...even if it's only by lurking.

Current Knitting
I made my way back to the purple Malabrigo Silky Merino pullover and I've made quite a bit of progress on the sleeves (if you remember, I started both sleeves at once).


I guess it's about 12 inches of sleeve, and I still have about 10 more increase rows before they're as wide as they'll get. You can also see (in the sleeve that's fully spread out) the center column of stitch patterning. I will continue this up through the shoulder strap and sew the front and back shoulders to this when it's finished.

Flea Market Partner
In addition to going to the local flea market each Saturday and Sunday, Thaddeus goes on Wednesdays by himself (when I'm traveling during the week, which is almost always). This past week, he spotted these two vintage gems:


The Pineapple motif crochet book is quite good, and may even inspire me to make an old fashioned bedspread or tablecloth. The men's collegiate sweater book is quite a hoot. Nothing in it that I would actually make, but it is all men's sweaters, so I thought it was relevant. Perhaps I'll bring it to the Men's Knitting Retreat in a couple of weeks.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Tom writes, "Love the way the mawl turned out. If this is your own pattern, would you consider offering it through The Knitting Vault? Please?"

I don't plan on publishing the pattern, but I did write up instructions on my project page for it on Ravelry that should allow anyone to knit this garment. If you're not on Ravelry, just e-mail me and I'd be glad to send out the basic "pattern."

No comments:

Post a Comment