Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Distrust of Doctors

Okay...how do you know when you can trust your doctor, your dentist, your chiropractor?

Trustworthy?

I worked for an incredibly successful chiropractic clinic when I first graduated college...doing their insurance and patient billing.  From this experience, I made two decisions:

  1. First, I believe chiropractic is a great way of staying healthy. Personal experience has shown me that  spinal subluxations can block functionality to the nerves that extend out from the spine, and removing those blockages can help keep you healthy in many ways.
  2. Second, chiropractors can be some of the most greedy, self-serving sheisters on the planet, concerned more with making money than helping people get healthy.  And personally, I think some dentists might even be worse.

Fortunately, I have found an exceptional chiropractor in my area, who I trust.  But I can't say the same for my dentist.  As for my medical care providers, I am convinced if I don't advocate for my own health care, they will do what is financially best for them when it comes to my care and treatment.

So, how do you find someone you trust?  When your dentist tells you that you need a root canal, or to have a tooth pulled or a crown, how do you know if it's completely necessary or just something that has a high profit margin for them?  When your physician thinks it's overkill to do a stress test to check for cardiac issues, how do you know she's not doing it to save their clinic from getting dinged by your HMO?

Current Knitting

Looking for some inspiration on my next project, I turned to Pinterest, where I have this sweater posted to my board for Knitting and Crochet.


It appeared to be stockinette stitch, with the fourth stitch of every other row slipped, to elongate it.  I tried swatching this first with some dark yarn from Ray at Knitivity, but the stitch pattern hardly showed up at all with the dark yarn, and I also realized it the fabric in the sweater above required a slipping the fifth stitch every other row.

Here's what I've done so far on my latest pullover.


This is 300 sts of ribbing with a couple of inches of the faux ribbing created by slipping the fifth stitch of every other row.  I'm knitting it with the Icelandic wool yarn from  Sweet Dreams Farm that I bought at the Southern Adirondack Sheep & Wool Festival this past year.  Here's a close-up of the stitch pattern.


The yarn is a beautiful, shimmery, silver-gray color, and has a bit of a halo.  When it's blocked, it will be pretty close to the fabric in the first photo...but perhaps I just had trouble seeing past the model when I decided to try and replicate this sweater?


No comments:

Post a Comment