Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Rolfing

About 30 years ago, an older man who I knew through self-improvement seminars, and who I admired greatly, had recently gone through Rolfing sessions...he highly recommended it.

30 Years Later...

...I finally got around to taking his suggestion.

Okay...so who's seen the movie Semi-Tough with Burt Reynolds, Kris Kristofferson and Jill Clayburgh?

 

In this movie, they lampoon some of the popular self-realization movements at the time, including est (they call it B.E.A.T.) and Rolfing (they call it Pelfing), and both are incredibly accurate exaggerations (if that's not an oxymoron) of the targeted movements.

As it turns out, the older gentlemen who recommended Rolfing, I knew through est...it's a small (odd) World.

About Rolfing

Rolfing is a form of massage or tissue manipulation that specifically focuses on the network of myofascial tissue (the soft tissue and connective tissue that usually shows up as grizzle or silver-skin when your cutting up a chicken).  The purpose of Rolfing is structural integration of the body.  My Rolfer described the network of myofascial tissue as the ropes and canvas on a tent that has been torqued and pulled askew over the years and by re-distributing them more evenly, the body structure is re-integrated and works more efficiently  I liked that analogy.

Rolfing is named for Ida Rolf who refined the technique and began the Rolfing Institute which certifies all Rolfing practitioners.  Dr. Rolf posed this fundamental question: "What conditions must be fulfilled in order for the human body-structure to be organized and integrated in gravity so that the whole person can function in the most optimal and economical way?"

Her life's work was devoted to this investigation which led to the system of soft tissue manipulation and movement education that we now call Rolfing®. To pass along her work to others and to make the education process accessible, she developed an expedient series of ten sessions, which came to be known as the Ten Series.
"This is the gospel of Rolfing:
When the body gets working appropriately,
the force of gravity can flow through.
Then, spontaneously, the body heals itself."
~ Ida P. Rolf 
In tomorrow's blog entry, I'll write about how I found a good Rolfer in my area and some of the benefits I've had already.

Current Knitting/Crochet/Spinning

I've done a bit more on each of my active projects, but not enough to merit a photo.

However, I did get my order of Gnomespun yarn in the mail this weekend!!!


This is Gnomespun Phouka sock yarn (75% superwash merino and 25 nylon) done int two nice, rich colors. As a special little gift with my order, I also got these...


...handmade stitch markers...quite nice!  Thanks Dan!  Check out his web site...he's got some great stuff for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment