Saturday, April 18, 2015

New Thaddeus Recipe

This side-dish is amazing...we had something similar in a restaurant and we loved it.


Curried Chickpea Fries

This dish is a healthier alternative to French fries, it can be completely gluten free and has a ton of flavor.  I personally love the flavor of  Indian spices, but you could substitute rosemary, or chive

Curried Chickpea Fries
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Time: About 1½ hours, largely unattended

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chickpea flour
2 cups water (you could also use vegetable or chicken stock)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and black pepper

1. Grease an 8- or 9-inch pan (Thaddeus uses a round pie pan, but most people use a square pan).
2. Whisk chickpea flour, cumin and turmeric into boiling water (you definitely want to use a whisk for this).
3. Boil while whisking constantly for 2 minutes.
4. Spread the chickpea flour mixture as evenly as possible into the greased pan, cover with foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
5. Put at least 2 inches of the oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat. Cut the chickpea flour cake into ½-by-3-inch strips. Add one of the strips to the oil to test whether it’s hot enough; the oil should immediately bubble vigorously. Working in batches, cook the remaining strips until deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the strips to paper towels to drain, season with salt, and serve hot.

Current Knitting/Crocheting

I'm doing a workshop at this year's Men's Spring Knitting Retreat on knitting a sock heel that forms more to the real anatomy of a foot than commercial socks, so I've started knitting up some samples.



I also did some additional crochet on the Crochet Basketweave Afghan, until I realized I had miscounted the number of rows in one of the stripes, so I had to rip back a bit.


I have recovered and gone a little past where I was, but I did promise a progress photo.

Readers' Comments/Questions

Thanks for the two comments about using EverNote instead of OneNote.

I made a comment that I still like OneNote better (see my response in last blog entry comments), but I have to now qualify my comments.

OneNote on Windows is an excellent product...better than EverNote in my opinion.  But on Mac OS, OneNote (which is a free app) is not as good...in fact in some ways it sucks.  I tried copying an Excel table into EverNote and also into OneNote...EverNote handled it great, OneNote wouldn't format the damn thing into a table no matter what I tried (whereas in Windows, it works like a charm).  Those kinds of platform-based inconsistencies with Microsoft products drive me nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment