Wednesday, April 1, 2015

B.I.T.

Yes, I am officially, a Barista In Training.

Early Birthday Present

This past Thursday, I arrived home to my new espresso machine...a bit of a step up from what I had before.

For the last few years, I've been churning out lattes on a perfectly good, home espresso machine...a Gaggia Rancilio Silvia machine.


Then I saw the next, more shiny, better home espresso machine and decided I must have it.  So we bought a
Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione V2 machine.


It's kind of amazing what you don't miss until you have something better.  Making espresso on the new machine is so much easier (and quieter) and makes a much better espresso...every time.  Plus, the steamer for frothing latte milk is much better too.  I think I will be able to actually do latte art soon.

My first attempt, I was able to make a strawberry...kind of.


See it at the top?  On its side?  With two little leaves on top?  Okay...we'll when I get an amazing latte art, I'll post another photo.  But the new machine is truly amazing.

Current Knitting

I was able to get a few more inches on the first sleeve of the Icelandic Wool pullover.


Just a couple more inches and I'll finish up with some ribbing.  While the sweater will be way too warm to wear when it's finished, it will be perfect for showing off at the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat in May!

Readers' Comments/Questions

pattieknits writes, "You ought to be able to find cheese from raw milk...I live in the sticks and get it at Wegmans and also natural food stores."

Yes, I can find raw milk cheese, but all dairy (milk, yogurt, butter, and cheese) in France has a richness to it that our milk products don't.  I specifically want to be able to get French raw milk cheeses in this country.

As part of the other foods readers mentioned, Tim Tenclay adds, "Char Siu Bao"

AGREED!  Char Siu Bao are Chinese steamed buns with barbecued pork in the center.  While you can buy them frozen and sometimes get them in Asian grocers or at Chinese restaurants...none are as good and fresh and delicious as the ones I had in Hong Kong.  I need to go back.

FiberNinja asks, "Are you going to Maryland this year? I haven't seen you in ages."

Most probably not...I have to ration the number of weekends I stay away from home, since I'm away from home all week for work.


No comments:

Post a Comment