Sunday, March 8, 2015

Resentment

Someone once said, "Resentments are like drinking poison and hoping someone else dies."

Nonetheless...
...I still have a long-held resentment against the Red Cross, and the FDA for disallowing gay men to donate blood (for all practical purposes anyway).

Did you know that any man who has had sex with another man since 1977 is not allowed to donate blood? Yeah, it amazes me that most folks don't realize this.

So, as a 50 year old gay man, if I have had sex with a man in the last 32 years (since I was 18!) I'm excluded from donating blood.

The FDA is only now looking at eliminating this ignorant practice...and ONLY because there's a shortage in the blood supply that will only increase as we near the Summer.

Sheesh!...don't they screen all blood for HIV anyway?

Yes, I have resentments.

Current Knitting
I've finished the Woven Cable Scarf by Kelly Haines.






I ended up added a row of double-crochet down both sides of the scarf. In addition to giving it a much cleaner edge, it also added some much-needed width to this scarf.

The yarn is Noro Himaraya, I knit it using US13 needles and it ended up being about five feet long and about eight inches wide.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Regarding the Shetland Gossamer lace wrap, Eileen comments, "So it was interesting that you said that dampening the shawl weakened the wool."

Actually, I found when I tried to do a spit-join, the single-ply yarn came untwisted and pulled apart quite easily, but the break that occurred during blocking seemed to be caused by brittleness...hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment