Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Flea Market - Anything Fiber Related

Believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of flea markets, but I go usually twice a week to my local flea market...mostly for exercise and be out among people.

Searches and Finds

Typically when I go, I look for anything fiber related.  I don't always buy everything I find...either it's not something I'm interested in (loom shuttles, yarn cones, sewing baskets, etc.) or the price is higher than I care to pay.

But everyone once in a while, I'll find your grandmother's set of knitting needles, or an interesting old Vogue Knitting magazine, and the price is reasonable enough to purchase it.

My latest find is what I thought was an old wooden Tunisian crochet hook.



This thing is about 3 feet long, and based on the tapering of the hook, I'm thinking this is more likely a hook for pulling down a shade or a map in a classroom.  I did try using it for crochet, and it was way too cumbersome for that.  Oh well...for a dollar, it was worth trying.

Readers' Comments/Questions

Regarding the interlocking crochet scarf, Ali writes, "Some directions, please, for those of us left handed crochet impaired folk who stare at your work with awe."

The scarf dimensions will be about 5-6 feet long when finished.  I basically chained 410 sts, HDC into the second st from the needle, HDC into the next three sts, ch4, skip 4 chain sts and HDC into the next four.  Working with my next color, I chained 410 sts, HDC into the second st from the needle, HDC into the next three chain sts, ch4, skip the next 4 ch sts and then I elongate the 5th chain st, so I can identify it once I've pulled it through the first ch4 loop of the first color.

At one point, I'll try and to a mini video tutorial, but I'm not promising anything.  I have 28 more days of blog writing and associated knitting/spinning/crocheting to get done!

No comments:

Post a Comment