Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Supporting Those That Support Us

Being part of a group can have its advantages, whether the group is men who knit, the LGBT community, a religious community, or just a large group of friends on Facebook.

QueerJoe Blog Readers

The people that frequent my blog is another affinity group for me.

Being strongly opinionated about issues that some may consider controversial, is a great way of separating the wheat from the chaff, if you will.  I am grateful for the abundance of "wheat" readers here.

And it never ceases to amaze me how this group rallies around those I consider important.  I always feel like y'all have my back.



A good friend, Kyle Kunnecke has taken on a monumental goal to raise $10,000 dollars for the AIDS walk, and I'd like to ask readers for THREE things to help support him:
  1. First, I'd like you to contribute.  It would be fantastic to see him quickly reach and surpass his goal, so anything you can contribute would be wonderful.  He's also doing a lottery of thank-you prizes for anyone that donates - including a Schacht Sidekick wheel.
  2. I'd like you to help support the people that have supported him.  Purlescence Yarns has been a huge support for Kyle in his fundraising efforts.  If you could patronize their business (especially if you're in the Sunnyvale, CA area) or "friend" them on Facebook, it would be a great show of support.
  3. Finally, if you could promote Kyle's fundraising cause to all of your friends, it would be very much appreciated by both Kyle and me.  Post this blog entry or Kyle's fundraising page on Facebook.  Post this blog entry to Pinterest (using the beautiful scarf below as the rationale).  Tweet about Kyle's big goal.
I don't use this word often, but I feel blessed by the support of the people that read this blog, even if I've never met you in person.

Men's Knitting Retreat
There are a number of people that help support the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat each year as well, and I'd like to thank this year's generous sponsors publicly:

Lubna from Blind Buck Farm posted a blog entry about our visit there.

Current Knitting/Crocheting

I started another Interlocking Crochet Scarf, except this time, it's with much thicker yarn and a larger crochet hook.





It's being made using two colorways of Opus 1yarn on a size K - 7mm crochet hook.

I also tried swatting a couple of different colorways of Koigu in a crochet stitch called the Granite Stitch.



I was thinking it might make another nice scarf design, but the fabric is a bit too rigid.  It would probably make a fantastic women's jacket.

Here's the Granite Stitch pattern stitch:


Row 1: Ch an even number of stitches.  Sc in the 4th ch from the hook, *ch 1, skip 1 ch, sc in the next ch; repeat from * to end, turn.


Row 2: Ch 2, sc in the next ch-1 sp, *ch 1, sc in the next ch-1 sp; repeat from * to end, finishing with a sc in the ch-3 sp at the start of Row 1, turn.

Row 3: Ch 2, sc in the next ch-1 sp, *ch 1, sc in the next ch-1 sp; repeat from * to end, finishing with a sc in the ch-2 sp at the start of the previous row, turn.

Keep repeating only Row 3

No comments:

Post a Comment